A woman’s huge collection of deodorant cans triggers a massive explosion that nearly kills her
- A German woman’s collection of deodorant cans caught fire and almost killed her
- German police in Oberhausen are trying to find out how the cans were set on fire
- The woman is responsive, but suffered severe burns in the incident
A woman has reportedly suffered severe burns after her stash of deodorant cans ignited, causing a massive explosion in her home.
Residents of a high-rise building in Oberhausen, North Rhine-Westphalia, were woken from their sleep on Friday evening when a deafening noise came from the fifth floor of the apartment block.
Windows were broken in several rooms, sending shards of glass flying towards a parking lot 30 meters away and damaging several cars.
In addition, several other apartments inside the building and a stairwell were damaged.
A mother told the German newspaper Picture that the explosion tore a huge hole in their kitchen wall and threw out insulation material.
A huge hole was ripped in her neighbor’s kitchen
The explosion also ripped through part of a plaster wall in the apartment block
Rescue workers were called to the building and firefighters determined the explosion was caused by the ignition of propellant gas in deodorant cans.
They initially believed that a thermal bath had exploded, but quickly discovered that the building had no gas heaters.
Police and prosecutors have not yet been able to clarify exactly how and why the gas was ignited.
They boarded up the apartment with chipboard.
The woman, known only as Melissa G due to German data protection laws, is reportedly approachable but not ready to be interviewed.
Her boyfriend, known only as Jonathan G, was not physically injured.
Their neighbors painted a picture of a lonely couple who kept to themselves.
A fellow tenant said: “They are strange loners, didn’t say hello and often seemed absent.” “There was often drama in the apartment at night.”
Fire officials have since said that despite the significant damage to the building and adjacent apartments, tenants were able to return to their homes safely.