An Australian mother is furious after finding rat poison in a Halloween candy bag used by her son and his friend while trick-or-treating.
Pennie Smith, from the Illawarra region of NSW, said her son Tyrell and his friend, both 12, went to the neighborhood event on October 31 and put bags of the ratsak poison, which is also fatal to humans, in their pockets .
She said her son’s friend found one of the bags and was holding it in his hand when he asked her if she thought it was “funny” that someone gave it to them.
“It shocked me to the core, I was just horrified. ‘Who would do that?’ Ms. Smith told this Illawarra Mercury.
She immediately grabbed both children’s candy bags and went through them before throwing the bags away entirely due to the risk of toxic contamination.
Ms Smith said she found two bags of Ratsak in her son and his friend’s candy bags, one of which had been opened and the bait was missing (pictured).
She found two Ratsak bags, but one was open and the blue bait was missing.
She urged other parents, especially those in her area, to carefully check their children’s Halloween candy bags.
“Please be careful. “Imagine a child putting that in their mouth,” she said.
Ms Smith said she was angry when her town of Windang held a large Halloween celebration with hundreds of children and parents and someone was out to cause harm.
New South Wales Police have said they are aware of the report and are investigating. Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers.
She immediately searched through both bags (pictured) and threw them away, urging other parents to check their own children’s supplies
WHAT IS RATSAK?
The rat poison brand Ratsak contains the deadly poison brodifacoum.
It is an anticoagulant that causes mass bleeding.
It is one of the most commonly used pesticides worldwide.
Ratsak tablets are blocks of wax that are colored bright blue or green, making them easy to spot.