Beggar received $100 million after a police officer shocked him with a stun gun during a 2018 chase

A beggar who fell in Atlanta and broke his neck when a police officer shocked him with a stun gun during a 2018 chase has been awarded $100 million by a federal jury.

Jerry Blasingame, 69, who is paralyzed after falling and hitting his head on the cement, now needs around-the-clock care that costs $1 million a year and has $14 million in medical bills so far, attorney Ven said Johnson to the jury.

The jury found that Officer Jon Grubbs used unreasonable force against Blasingame, who was 65 at the time, and asked drivers for money on July 10, 2018.

The jury found the Atlanta Police Department to pay $60 million and Grubbs, who was allowed to return to full duty six months after the incident, $40 million, WXIA-TV and the Atlanta Journal reported -Constitution.

The city has filed an application for a court judgement. A judge’s decision on this application may change the jury’s verdict.

Jerry Blasingame, 69, who fell and broke his neck when a police officer shocked him with a stun gun in Atlanta in 2018, now requires 24-hour care and has $14 million in medical bills

Jerry Blasingame, 69, who fell and broke his neck when a police officer shocked him with a stun gun in Atlanta in 2018, now requires 24-hour care and has $14 million in medical bills

The jury found Officer Jon Grubbs (pictured) used unreasonable force against Blasingame, who was 65 at the time, and asked drivers for money on July 10, 2018

The jury found Officer Jon Grubbs (pictured) used unreasonable force against Blasingame, who was 65 at the time, and asked drivers for money on July 10, 2018

Judge Steve Jones has yet to rule on that motion, online court filings show. Jones ruled before deliberations began that the jury could reasonably determine that Grubbs had used excessive force and that they could consider the city’s argument.

“The file would enable the jury to determine that Mr Blasingame had not committed a felony before he was tased / that Officer Grubbs did not fear for his safety / and that the pressing circumstances were not so serious that Officer Grubbs would permit it “Use of force,” Jones wrote Friday.

Blasingame conservator Keith Edwards sued the City of Atlanta and Officer Jon Grubbs for the cost of his past and future medical bills.

Grubbs got out of the squad car and told Blasingame to stop, but he moved off the road to a guardrail and Grubbs ran towards him, according to the lament

Grubbs got out of the squad car and told Blasingame to stop, but he moved off the road to a guardrail and Grubbs ran towards him, according to the lament

Grubbs then gets out of the car and begins chasing the 65-year-old man, eventually shocking him with a stun gun, causing him to fall and break his neck

Grubbs then gets out of the car and begins chasing the 65-year-old man, eventually shocking him with a stun gun, causing him to fall and break his neck

Body cam footage shows Blasingame lying face down on the ground after being shocked

Body cam footage shows Blasingame lying face down on the ground after being shocked

Johnson and civil rights attorney Craig Jones said Grubbs violated department guidelines by using a stun gun on an elderly man who ran away, the newspaper reported.

Edward’s lawsuit said Blasingame was on the street asking people for money when Grubbs and another officer arrived and saw him talking to a driver.

Grubbs got out of the squad car and told Blasingame to stop, but he moved off the road to a guardrail and Grubbs ran towards him, according to the lament.

“Grubbs gets out of the car and chases my client – a 65-year-old man – and for what? To possibly ask people for money?’ said Johnson.

Johnson said the city failed to investigate Grubbs’ conduct thoroughly enough and restored him to full service six months after the incident and before the investigation was complete.

“That’s how an officer gets away with excessive force,” he told the jury in his closing argument. “You bury it.”

Staci J. Miller, one of Atlanta and Grubbs’ attorneys, said Blasingame’s injuries were tragic but that city training and departmental policies were not to blame.

Attorneys for the city of Atlanta, who also represented Grubbs, were not available to comment on the ruling, and a spokesman for Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens declined to comment, the newspaper reported.

According to records from the Georgia Peace Officer Standards and Training Council, Grubbs enlisted in the Atlanta Police Department in December 2013 as a cadet. A year later he became a full officer and has served in the force ever since.

He has no sanctions on his POST records and is listed as an officer in good standing by the state police certification agency.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11157029/Panhandler-awarded-100M-cop-shocked-stun-gun-2018-foot-chase.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490 Beggar received $100 million after a police officer shocked him with a stun gun during a 2018 chase

Andrew Kugle

WSTPost is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@wstpost.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button