Brisbane childcare worker charged with rape and possession of child exploitation material

  • Child care worker, 29, charged with felony
  • He appeared in court on Saturday and was denied bail

A Queensland childcare worker has been charged with rape and producing child abuse material after a complaint was received against him at the Brisbane facility where he was employed.

The 29-year-old appeared in court on Saturday and was denied bail to appear again next month.

He is charged with one count of rape and one count of indecent treatment of a child under 16.

The man also faces two charges of possessing child exploitation material and another charge of creating such material involving a child.

The north Brisbane daycare where he worked before his dismissal sent an email to parents and carers on Saturday morning.

“We know this news will be upsetting for families,” said the message, a copy of which was seen by AAP.

“We want to be open and honest with you and keep you informed.”

The 29-year-old was charged with one count of rape and one count of indecent treatment of a child under 16. The daycare he worked at in Brisbane's north before his dismissal sent an email to parents and carers on Saturday morning

The 29-year-old was charged with one count of rape and one count of indecent treatment of a child under 16. The daycare he worked at in Brisbane’s north before his dismissal sent an email to parents and carers on Saturday morning

It was confirmed that the man’s arrest followed a formal complaint earlier in the week, which led to a police investigation.

“The employee was fired on the day of the complaint and his employment was terminated on Thursday,” the email said.

It said the center had already contacted a small number of families and confirmed the man had worked with older children.

“We are all shocked and dismayed by this news,” it said.

The matter follows independent allegations that a 45-year-old Queensland man abused 91 children between 2007 and 2022 while working at 10 daycare centers in Brisbane, one in Sydney and another overseas.

He is currently on trial facing more than 1,600 charges.

Queensland Attorney-General Yvette D’Ath told a parliamentary hearing earlier this month that the state’s Blue Card review of the alleged Gold Coast offender had revealed no warning signs.

“Before someone is issued a Blue Card, a national criminal history check is carried out for every Blue Card application in Queensland,” she said.

Janice Dean

Janice Dean is a WSTPost U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. Janice Dean joined WSTPost in 2023 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing: janicedean@wstpost.com.

Related Articles

Back to top button