Bruce Lehrmann has spoken out heavily against Brittany Higgins after she publicly commented on charges being filed against him in a separate alleged rape.
In a statement released just hours before his rape allegations were due to be mentioned, he took aim at Ms Higgins and said his legal team was considering options In Queensland.
“Her statement was public and widely reported. Therefore, my team will examine our position and the relief that the justice system is now rightly offering us,” he said.
Ms Higgins spoke out on Instagram on Sunday afternoon, two days after Lehrmann was revealed as the high-profile man accused of rape.
Lehrmann was charged with two counts of rape in January this year after an incident that allegedly occurred after a night at a strip club in Toowoomba, west of Brisbane, in October 2021.
He is accused of not wearing a condom during sex with a young woman on two occasions.
Former Liberal Party staffer Bruce Lehrmann (pictured) is considering legal options after Brittany Higgins spoke out about his current court case
In her statement, Ms Higgins said: “When I first learned of the alleged sexual assault, my heart broke for you,” in an apparent address to the alleged victim.
On Tuesday morning, just hours before his rape charge was due to be heard in Toowoomba Magistrates Court, Lehrmann posted his own comments, first reported by Sky News.
“The non-publication order that we unsuccessfully sought last week would have ensured that there would have been no adverse and often inaccurate reporting,” he said.
Lehrmann then took aim at Ms Higgins’ statement.
“Her statement was public and widely reported. Therefore, my team will examine our position and the relief that the justice system now rightly offers us.
“The recent ACT Criminal Justice Inquiry and its findings should not be forgotten.”
“The only substantive judgment made this year was Mr Sofronoff’s condemnation of the conduct of the DPP and Mr Shane Drumgold.”
At Toowoomba Magistrates Court on Wednesday, where Lehrmann’s case was heard, prosecutor Sarah Dreghorn said the Crown had reviewed the phone download of the complainant’s phone and shared the relevant files with Mr Lehrmann’s defense team.
Rowan King, representing Mr Lehrmann, requested a six week adjournment to review the material.
“In fact, there are some bureaucratic issues surrounding the data provided,” Mr King told the court.
“I expect the review to take a few weeks.
“The disclosure includes between 400 and 500 files that are locked, meaning I cannot do what I normally do with this type of disclosure, such as combining the documents and doing a word or phrase search.”
“(It) slows down the process a little bit for me.”
Mr King said the six-week adjournment was also to discuss with the Crown what witnesses would be needed for cross-examination during the transfer phase.
Mr Lehrmann’s case will be heard again in court on December 13th.
Brittany Higgins (pictured front, center) issued a statement about Lehrmann’s legal case on Sunday