Antonio Conte insists he needs at least TWO MORE transfer windows to make Tottenham title challengers despite investing over £100m this summer, with their two biggest signings – Richarlison and Yves Bissouma – awaiting their first starts
- Tottenham have tried to overhaul Italy’s Antonio Conte’s squad this summer
- The club have spent significant sums to attract the players Conte wants
- Richarlison and Yves Bissouma have yet to start a competitive game for the club
- Conte admits he will change his starting XI in the coming weeks
- They started the season well and remained undefeated after four games
Antonio Conte says he needs at least two more transfer windows to transform Tottenham into a true Premier League title challenger.
Spurs have started the season strongly by taking 10 points from a possible 12 following Sunday’s 2-0 win at Nottingham Forest.
Head coach Conte has spoken to the club’s board of directors about further strengthening his squad ahead of Thursday’s deadline following a string of arrivals earlier in the summer, but insists he is content to work with the players he already has To be available.
Antonio Conte insisted he needs at least two more transfer windows to reach his ideal squad
The Italian, who has been consistent with his selection in the first four games, accepts he will now discover his side’s true strength as he prepares for rotation as he plays two games a week before the break for the Winter World Cup Has.
“I tried to start with the old players because they give me more reality,” said Conte, who faces a London derby at West Ham on Wednesday night.
“With the new players, we started working with them in just a month and a half. And I think in the end my decisions were good because we got four good results in the first four games.
The Tottenham manager said that despite spending significant amounts, they are not quite there yet
“Now if you have to play a game every three days, it’s normal to do a rotation, players have to be smart to understand that sometimes they have to go to the bench, come in and take turns.
“And this is the time when the club can understand if we are really, really complete in the squad or maybe we could do better.
“Compared to last season we are more complete. But to reach other teams at the highest level, we need time, patience and transfer markets, at least two transfer markets, to reach the same level.
Speaking about potential additions this week, he added: “I’ve spoken to the club and given them my opinion but if we do something or not, it’s fine.”
Harry Kane scored twice for Tottenham at Nottingham Forest and Conte said the wish of everyone at the club was to keep their talisman
Harry Kane claimed both of Tottenham’s goals at the City Ground while substitute Richarlison made headlines for some late showboatings which angered Forest boss Steve Cooper.
Conte has been impressed by the Brazilian’s cameos since his big-money arrival from Everton and said the striker’s first start is imminent.
“We’re talking about a player who can help us a lot this season, a player who is a really good addition,” Conte said of the 25-year-old.
“I think in the past Tottenham haven’t had a player at that level behind Harry, behind Son (Heung-min) and now we have a really good player and he’s at the best moment of his career to stay and stay at Tottenham show his talent.
Richarlison is yet to start a game for Tottenham this season but Conte said the Brazilian will be a key player this season
“He can help us a lot this season and now he plays very well every time he plays 20, 30, 40 minutes. In the next few games we will definitely see him in the starting XI.”
Starman Kane, who has two years left on his contract with Tottenham, has scored four goals and given his side seven points in his last three games after his brace at Forest.
Conte said Spurs are keen to secure the England captain’s future but have no update on a potential contract extension.
“We are talking about an important player for Tottenham and the wish of everyone at the club is to stay at Tottenham and sign a new contract,” said Conte.
“But if you ask me for the details, information, I can’t answer you.”
Yves Bissouma is another not to start despite the significant sum Tottenham spent on him this summer
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11157303/Conte-says-needs-TWO-transfer-windows-turn-Tottenham-title-contenders.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490 Conte says he needs at least TWO MORE transfer windows to make Tottenham title contenders