The hospital has to pay a woman $2.4 million after a misdiagnosis left her quadriplegic
- SA grandmother sued the hospital for failing to diagnose a bacterial spinal infection
- Tests said she “probably had a bacterial infection,” but was diagnosed with tonsillitis
- Flinders Medical Center was ordered to pay Edita Siroky $2.4 million in damages
A hospital has been ordered to pay $2.4 million to a woman who was misdiagnosed as suffering from paraplegia.
Edita Siroky sued Flinders Medical Center in Adelaide for failing to detect a bacterial spinal infection.
The Czech-born grandmother has been hospitalized several times since February 14, 2018 after being transported from Noarlunga Hospital.
Ms Siroky reported a sore throat that made swallowing painful, as well as a sore throat, dry cough, fever and vomiting, the South Australia Supreme Court heard.
Despite tests suggesting she “probably had a bacterial infection,” she was diagnosed with tonsillitis, discharged with a prescription, and told to see her own doctor.
Flinders Medical Center in Adelaide (pictured) has been ordered to pay $2.4 million to a misdiagnosed quadriplegic woman
But two days later, Ms Siroky was back in the hospital emergency room with worse shoulder and chest pain so bad it “made her cry”.
She had further blood tests which again showed she had a bacterial infection which was getting worse.
After a few days, she was prescribed a steroid called prednisolone and released, the advertiser reported.
“Administration of the steroid prednisolone caused the rapid progression of Ms. Siroky’s discitus and the development of a spinal epidural abscess,” the complaint reads.
On February 27, 2018, Ms. Siroky collapsed in the parking lot of her chiropractor’s office and was rushed to Flinders Medical Center and admitted to the intensive care unit.
Subsequent tests confirmed that she had an infection and spinal damage.
Ms Siroky said the hospital was negligent in not using a translator or proper medical history and not giving her antibiotics.
“As a result of the hospital’s negligence in not diagnosing and treating Ms. Siroky’s infectious process, she suffered a cervical spine discitus and the infection spread with the formation of an abscess,” the statement reads.
Ms Siroky collapsed in the parking lot of her chiropractor’s office and was taken to Flinders Medical Center and admitted to the intensive care unit. Pictured is an Ambulance from South Australia
“Untreated, (it) grew and caused umbilical cord compression and subtotal quadriplegia.”
Ms Siroky is seeking damages for her injuries, loss of zest for life, psychiatric problems and her need for ongoing treatment.
The hospital said it “admits that the plaintiff’s negligence turned him into a subtotal quadriplegic” who had and would need medical treatment.
“The defendant acknowledges that the applicant’s physical functioning and enjoyment of life were impaired by the physical injuries, but denies that the applicant suffered any psychological damage.”
A US$2.4 million compensation settlement was reached with the South Australian Government on behalf of the hospital.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11178207/Adelaides-Flinders-hospital-pay-woman-2-4million-misdiagnosis-left-quadriplegic.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490 Flinders Hospital in Adelaide pays $2.4 million to woman after misdiagnosis left her quadriplegic