Jarryd Hayne’s sexual assault accuser has deleted many texts between her and the NRL star, the court said
A woman who accused Jarryd Hayne of sexual assault deleted a series of text messages from the former NRL star and others before turning her phone over to police, a jury has been told.
Mr Hayne’s retrial in NSW District Court is nearing completion. A jury is hearing evidence for seven days after the Dally M winner pleaded not guilty to two counts of non-consensual sexual assault.
He denies sexually assaulting the woman at her home on the outskirts of Newcastle in September 2018, on the night of the NRL grand final, and claims they engaged in consensual sexual acts.
The former footy star is accused of removing the woman’s pants before allegedly performing oral and digital sexual acts on her without her consent, resulting in lacerations and significant bleeding.
The officer in charge of investigating the alleged sexual assault took the witness stand on Wednesday, where he announced he had been contacted by the NRL Integrity Unit.
Jarryd Hayne’s accuser deleted several text messages before handing over her phone, the trial was told (Hayne is pictured in court with wife Amellia Bonnici on Wednesday).
The former NRL star is on trial for alleged sexual assault dating back to 2018
Cross-examined by defense attorney Margaret Cunneen SC, Detective Inspector Eugene Stek of the NSW Sex Crimes Squad was questioned about messages deleted from the alleged victim’s phone.
The court was told that the woman willingly turned over her phone to investigators in November 2018.
However, Detective Inspector Stek said that a number of texts came out later that he was unaware of.
“May I suggest to you that around 19 messages to or from Mr Hayne were deleted on her phone when she handed it over to the police?” asked Mrs. Cunneen.
Detective Inspector Stek said it depends on the date the phone was forensically examined.
He acknowledged that a “large number of messages” had been deleted before police received the phone.
“Did she tell you about it or not, sir?” asked Mrs. Cunneen.
Detective Inspector Stek replied: “No”.
The jury was told the missing messages were either later discovered by police during a forensic analysis of their phone via “Cellbrite” or by Mr Hayne’s legal team at his first trial.
Earlier, Mr Hayne sat on the witness stand when the jury was played the latest recording of his earlier evidence, in which he described the alleged victim as “full of shit”.
Hours of Mr Hayne’s recorded evidence were played to the jury this week, with the final hour being played on Wednesday.
Hayne has denied allegations that he performed oral and digital sex without consent
In his final questions from the then-prosecutor, Mr Hayne was asked why he was “raging” after a woman texted him saying she was in physical pain.
“I know I’ve talked so much about sex and stuff, but I didn’t want to do that after I knew the cab was waiting for you,” the lyrics read.
“I thought you’d at least stayed. I’m really hurt. I told my mom you had a nosebleed but I’m sitting here in my room crying because I feel weird.”
Mr. Hayne replied: ‘See the doctor tomorrow.’
Crown’s prosecutor at the time suggested to Mr Hayne: “The reason you were angry is because you knew from the news that she was going to ruin your career… You were angry because she wanted to refer you to the police.”
“I was angry because she was just full of shit,” the former NRL star replied.
He previously told the court, “I was angry at that stage because I could see that she was trying to make something up that wasn’t true, that she said no and that I left immediately.”
At the beginning of his testimony, Mr Hayne admitted he knew the woman did not want to have sex with him.
He said he paid a $550 cab to take him from Newcastle to Sydney after a dollar weekend and told the woman he could stop by on the way to her house if she lived near the freeway.
Hayne’s trial is nearing completion in NSW District Court
The former Parramatta full-back told the court he knew the woman had been “eagerly interested in sending flirtatious messages” in the weeks before, but when asked what he was up to at her home, he said he was “not sure”.
“It was in the air… best case scenario I’d have sex with her, worst case scenario I’d introduce myself and that was that,” Mr Hayne told his then-counsel in evidence.
Mr Hayne insists he knew the woman was not consenting to the intercourse but was instead attempting to please her by engaging in other sexual acts.
“I knew she didn’t want to have sex, I thought she would just like me, and that was it,” he said.
The crown asked: “You only chose one thing and that was sex, right?”
“Possibly,” Mr. Hayne replied.
He previously denied he wanted sex “the sooner the better” after parking the taxi outside the woman’s home with the meter running.
Mr Hayne was asked by the Crown Prosecutor at the time: “What you wanted was sex and you wanted it the quicker the better because the taxi was outside the front and the meter was running all the time.”
When asked what he had to say about that, Mr Hayne replied: “I don’t agree with your point of view.”
The trial will continue before Judge Graham Turnbull.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nrl/article-11890781/Jarryd-Haynes-sexual-assault-accuser-deleted-texts-NRL-star-court-told.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490 Jarryd Hayne’s sexual assault accuser has deleted many texts between her and the NRL star, the court said