Meghan Markle’s claims that a fire broke out in son Archie’s bedroom in South Africa have been backed up by a security source.
The insider, who is believed to be close to the Duchess of Sussex and was linked to her security detail during the 10-day tour in 2019, said he saw the “heavily melted” heater in person.
He said Meghan received a message that there had been a “fire” and her vehicle had been “broken off” by the security convoy.
The source told The Citizen that the heater fire at the official residence provided by Britain’s High Commission was never reported and British police told them to “keep it quiet”.
It’s the first confirmation that a fire like the one reported on a podcast by Meghan Markle actually happened, after Britain’s Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office declined to comment.
Meghan Markle’s claims that a fire broke out in son Archie’s nursery in South Africa were backed up by a security source (pictured on the Cape Town tour).
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are pictured at an engagement in Nyanga just before they were informed of the fire
And the source said when Meghan exited her security vehicle she was “scared” and she “rushed” to the official residence “like any mother” if she was scared for her baby.
But the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, could not confirm whether Archie was in the room or downstairs as has been claimed.
He said he was part of a small team looking after the Duke and Duchess but was primarily tied to Meghan to escort her between the official guest residence and her royal engagements.
The trusted source revealed how the security plan changed when the convoy returned from an official visit, saying: “I’m not sure if we came from Nyanga or Monwabisi but there was an event.
“We drove in a convoy and suddenly the convoy with Meghan broke up. We followed behind. We weren’t sure what was going on. The prince was on his way to a naval affair.
The Duchess of Sussex spoke to the tennis star on the podcast entitled “The Misconception of Ambition with Serena Williams”.
The source continued, “When we stopped at the residence, I can tell you that instead of getting out of the car like a woman who normally does, she stormed into the house.”
After going in himself, he said he was shown the faulty heater.
He said: “When we got to the house the housekeeper called me and showed me the heater which had burned out and told me what had happened and said the child wasn’t in the room when the heater was on.
‘She said they smelled it, went up and saw the smoke. The house didn’t burn, the room didn’t burn. I didn’t see the fire but I did see the heater coming out of the room. The plastic was badly melted.”
The source said he couldn’t say if Archie was in danger or not when the fire broke out, but confirmed it was a new heater that had just been bought just to keep Archie warm.
He added: “The fire was not reported. Once outside, we discussed what we would do about it. The consensus was “guys this is going to look bad for us or South Africa or whoever”.
Harry and Meghan watch dancers leave Nyanga Township in Cape Town, South Africa. Meanwhile, Archie’s bedroom at home was on fire, she revealed
“The British cops actually told us, guys, just leave it as it is, don’t talk about it,” so we decided not to expose this matter.
“That’s why we were silent at the time, because we knew we were going to get a backlash.”
He said the royals had decided they could no longer live in the residence.
The source added, “We immediately moved from this house to a second location less than five minutes from our station, but neither of us were told where they were after the fire.”
Markle first revealed the details of the kindergarten fire almost three years after it happened to tennis legend Serena Williams, who was the first guest on her new podcast Archetypes.
She spoke about how she felt pressured to continue with her royal duties that day and to honor an official engagement in Nyanga, despite being left “shattered and in tears” and having to leave Archie behind.
The Duchess said: “There was this moment where I’m standing on a stump and I’m giving this speech to women and girls and we break off the engagement, we get in the car and they say there’s been a fire at the residence.
Meghan today opened up about her frustration at having to make another official engagement immediately after the fire (pictured with Harry later the same day).
Meghan added: “We came back. And of course, as a mom, you’re like, “Oh my god, what?” Everyone is in tears, everyone is shaken. And what do we have to do? Go out and make another official date. I said, “That doesn’t make any sense.”
The Sussexes had dropped their son off at the accommodation unit they intended to sleep in right after flying in for their official tour in 2019, and the couple then left to begin their royal visit with their first engagement.
Archie’s nanny at the time, just called Lauren – a Zimbabwean who liked to tie him on his back – had instead taken him downstairs while she went to get a snack, just as the heater in the nursery caught fire.
Meghan said: “By the time she went downstairs the heater in the children’s room caught fire. There was no smoke detector. Someone accidentally smelled smoke in the hallway, went in, fire extinguished. He should sleep there.”
The Duchess described how she wanted to tell people what had happened.
“I thought: can you just tell people what happened? And I think visually the focus is so much on how it looks rather than how it feels,” she said. She stressed the need for a better understanding of the “human moments behind the scenes”.
The Duchess added, “We had to leave our baby behind… and although we were moved to another location after that, we still had to leave and have another official engagement.”
William replies, “I couldn’t have done that.”
Later that same day, the couple had visited Cape Town’s historic District Six neighborhood, met residents at the Homecoming Center and heard from people who were forcibly evicted into a township during the apartheid era, with the Sussexes also conducting an impromptu walking tour.
Meghan and Harry’s controversial African tour took place in the fall of 2019, just months before they retired as senior working royals.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11159461/Meghan-Markles-claim-fire-broke-Archies-nursery-confirmed-security-source.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490 Meghan Markle’s claim that a fire broke out in Archie’s bedroom has been confirmed by a “safety source”.