Newcastle ‘lodge an official complaint with the Premier League’ over VAR as co-owner Amanda Staveley says she had a sleepless night after match officials effectively ALLOWED their mistakes in their game and Chelsea v West Ham
- Newcastle United are set to lodge an official complaint with the Premier League over VAR
- The Magpies ruled out a goal after Joe Willock fouled Vicente Guaita
- The excluded goal cost Newcastle a chance to beat Crystal Palace
- Co-owner Amanda Staveley has shared her views on VAR’s “mistakes”.
Newcastle United are reportedly set to lodge an official complaint with the Premier League over a VAR decision that cost them a win over Crystal Palace at the weekend.
A Tyrick Mitchell own goal was ruled out for a foul by Joe Willock on Crystal Palace goalkeeper Vicente Guaita.
Replays showed Willock being pushed to Guaita by Mitchell in the run-up, although VAR official Lee Mason urged referee Michael Salisbury to visit his monitor, where he overturned his original decision and disallowed the goal.
A Tyrick Mitchell own goal was ruled out by Palace for a foul by Joe Willock on Vicente Guaita
VAR urged referee Michael Salisbury to visit his monitor where he overturned his decision
Telegraph Sport understand Newcastle are so outraged at the way they have been treated by match officials and VAR so far this season that they have made a formal written complaint and are seeking an explanation.
It was one of several controversial VAR decisions over the weekend, including a ruled out West Ham equalizer as they lost 2-1 to Chelsea and Philippe Coutinho’s potential winner being ruled out for offside in his home game against Manchester City.
PGMOL, the refereeing body, appears ready to accept that it may have made the wrong decisions as it eluded goals from both Newcastle and West Ham in separate games on Saturday.
It was one of many controversial VAR decisions, including disqualifying West Ham’s equaliser
Senior figures within the league itself have called for accountability, having been confused by the two decisions.
However, Newcastle are increasingly frustrated with VAR having been denied two penalties in their ties with Manchester City and Wolverhampton Wanderers.
They also conceded a 98th-minute goal against Liverpool last week when just five minutes of added time was signaled, prompting boss Eddie Howe to deny his team wasted time at Anfield.
It is the second time in just nine months that Newcastle have complained about the standard of refereeing and accuse the match officials of treating them unfairly.
Newcastle co-owner Amanda Staveley has offered her opinion on the VAR decision that cost the Magpies a win over Crystal Palace
Newcastle co-owner Amanda Staveley (pictured right) has given her opinion on the VAR decision
“I had a sleepless night, we should have won,” Staveley told Tyneside Life. “I hated the VAR decision. Obviously that’s something we’re dealing with, and it seems to be a consistent theme over the past few games.
“We’re looking into this and talking to officials and trying to get something that we think will work in the future.”
PGMOL was immediately tasked with investigating after the incidents over the weekend.
The panel is understood to have promised to work with the Premier League’s rare request and will “learn lessons” from the excitement to shape the training of match officials.
PGMOL said in a statement: “PGMOL acknowledges the incidents to deny goals in the Chelsea v West Ham and Newcastle v Crystal Palace games.
“We will fully cooperate and work with the Premier League and their application to review these two particular incidents and use the result as part of the ongoing assessment of weekly performances and the development of our future game officials.”
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11181741/Newcastle-file-official-complaint-Premier-League-VAR.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490 Newcastle are making an official complaint to the Premier League over VAR