Novelty Pops’ potentially deadly lollipop has been recalled from IGA stores across Australia amid fears it could cause choking, severe internal burns or even death in young children
- Lollipops were sold in independent stores nationwide
- Free toys are powered by dangerous button batteries
A novel lollipop was recalled amid concerns it could cause choking, severe internal burns or death in young children.
Australian International Traders Pty Ltd’s ‘Novelty Pops’ were sold in small independent supermarkets such as IGAs across the country from 21 March to 10 May this year.
Affected by the recall are the lollipops sold with a spinning top.
Product Safety Australia (PSA) said the confectionery did not meet mandatory safety standards for button-battery products.
A novel lollipop (pictured) has been recalled amid concerns it could cause choking, severe internal burns or death in young children
Australian International Traders Pty Ltd’s ‘Novelty Pops’ will be on sale in small independent supermarkets such as IGAs across the country from 21 March to 10 May this year
Button batteries are used in many household products, including remote controls, clocks, and cameras.
If swallowed, button batteries can get lodged in a child’s throat, where the saliva can set off an electrical current and start a chemical reaction that can cause severe burns.
Serious injuries can occur within two hours, while damage to the child’s esophagus and internal organs can be fatal.
“The battery compartment is not adequately secured so that button batteries could become accessible,” PSA said.
The lollipops also lacked the necessary warning symbols and information on the packaging.
The lollipops sold with a spinning top (seen here) are subject to recall
The top toy’s battery compartment (pictured) is not properly secured, allowing children to access the button battery and potentially choke on it, which can be fatal
If you suspect your child has swallowed or inserted a button battery, call the Poison Control Center immediately on 13 11 26 for fast, expert advice 24 hours a day.
If your child is having trouble breathing, contact Triple-Zero.
Consumers can obtain further information by contacting Australian International Traders Pty Ltd by telephone on 02 9939 7488 or by email at email@example.com.
“Young children are at risk of choking, severe internal burns, or death if they access and swallow or insert button batteries,” PSA said.
“Consumers may not be aware that the product contains a button battery.”
Every month, a child is seriously injured by swallowing or inserting a button battery, some of them sustain lifelong injuries.
“Consumers should immediately stop using the toy and discard it,” PSA said.
“(You) should contact Australian International Traders to arrange for a refund of the product.”
The lollipops were sold in small independent supermarkets, retail outlets and milk bars including IGAs, Campbells Cash & Carry, Sweetcraft, The Lolly Bug Shop and The Professors Shop.