- Some believe that Jadon Sancho would have responded better to a conciliatory approach
- But Erik ten Hag refused to give in as Sancho was banned from the first team
- Follow the latest news from Mail Sport Man United WhatsApp channel for all current news
Some Manchester United staff reportedly believe Erik ten Hag could have been more sensitive about Jadon Sancho’s situation – with the £73million winger still in exile.
Sancho has been training either alone or with players from United’s academy in Carrington since essentially calling Ten Hag a liar for not being named from the squad for the game against Arsenal on September 3.
Despite attempts at mediation by United management, there is currently little prospect of reconciliation with Sancho unwilling to apologize for his comments on social media.
The athlete report that some at United believe Ten Hag could have handled the situation differently.
They argue that the 23-year-old Sancho responds better to an arm-around-the-shoulder approach from managers and the situation could have been resolved if Ten Hag had tried to do so.
Jadon Sancho remains excluded from Manchester United’s first team after his dispute with coach Erik ten Hag and apparently has little chance of getting closer at Old Trafford
Some employees reportedly believe that Ten Hag could have handled the situation more understandingly
Your browser does not support iframes.
However, the Dutch coach feels his authority would be undermined if he gave Sancho another chance without a proper apology as he tries to restore lost standards at Old Trafford.
As Mail Sport reported last week, Sancho has to lock himself in the academy changing room when putting on his training kit because of safety regulations for underage players.
The Athletic were not allowed to use the first team canteen at Carrington and said Sancho’s food was brought to him in a lunchbox.
Despite the situation, Sancho is said to have made a good impression on the young players he is now training with by watching the U18 games and answering their questions.
Before the Arsenal game, which United lost 3-1, Ten Hag asked players who would not be in the starting line-up to imitate the Gunners’ play on the training pitch.
Sancho belonged to the shadow eleven and did not get involved in the exercise as Ten Hag expected.
This led to the England international being left out of the matchday squad at the Emirates Stadium and Ten Hag making it public that Sancho had not performed well enough in training.
Sancho is banned from meeting or even eating with his teammates at United’s training ground
Ten Hag wanted Sancho to emulate Arsenal’s style of play in a training match ahead of Manchester United’s trip to the Emirates on September 3. The Gunners won the game 3-1
The player responded on social media later that evening, contradicting Ten Hag’s comments and claiming he had been made a “scapegoat”.
Although Ten Hag sat down with Sancho during the international break after the Arsenal game, there was no apology or retraction of the social media comments.
On September 11, Ten Hag walked Sancho through videos and explained why his contributions in training were lacking. This included a simulated game of an Arsenal-style team.
Ten Hag was reportedly unhappy with Sancho’s pressing – something the player did not agree with.
Sancho has now missed 10 United games in recent weeks.
With a return to the first team not imminent, it is looking increasingly likely that United will cut their losses in January on a player who was signed just over two years ago.
Ten Hag caused confusion on Monday at his press conference previewing Tuesday evening’s Champions League game against Copenhagen.
When it came to team news, some thought Ten Hag had said “Sancho” and not “Sergio” Reguilon when he mentioned returning to the first team.