Sergio Busquets ‘will make the decision TODAY on whether to join Lionel Messi at Inter Miami or team up with Cristiano Ronaldo in Saudi Arabia’ as he looks at life after Barcelona
- After 15 years at Barcelona, Sergio Busquets is looking for another club
- He will reportedly make a decision between MLS and Saudi Arabia today
- Lionel Messi is a close friend and has just agreed to join Inter Miami
Sergio Busquets is reportedly set to make a decision about his future today as he ponders whether to join Lionel Messi at Inter Miami.
Busquets received an emotional farewell from Barcelona this summer after 15 years with the Catalan club – but he is determined to continue playing.
The midfielder, 34, has been pondering offers alongside his family – which include lucrative deals from Saudi Arabia – and Mundo Deportivo report that he will announce his next move on Friday.
He is said to be choosing between three teams: Al Hilal, Cristiano Ronaldo’s Al-Nassr and Messi’s Inter Miami in MLS.
A move to Miami will certainly be even more attractive than before after Messi announced his intention to leave on Wednesday and the 36-year-old left Paris Saint-Germain.
Sergio Busquets (right) is expected to make a decision on his next club on Friday
There is a chance to work with Lionel Messi (left) who he played with at Barcelona
Busquets and Messi have shared a close relationship at Barcelona for more than a decade and it is said that the two have an unwritten pact that they will play one more season together before retiring.
MD reports that Busquets is drawn to living in a city like Miami, which is also said to be attractive to his wife and two children.
But it is in Saudi Arabia that Busquets is considering the “more lucrative” offers as he heads towards the final years of his professional career.
In his speech this week, Ronaldo believes his move to Saudi Arabia earlier this year created an “opportunity” for other players, possibly Busquets, to make the move.
Ronaldo left Manchester United before signing a mega £175million-a-year deal with Al-Nassr.
Since then, clubs in the Saudi Pro League have become more involved in the European transfer market and are consistently associated with the transfer of some of football’s brightest talent.
Karim Benzema – the reigning Ballon d’Or winner – stunned European fans when he joined Al-Ittihad from Real Madrid in the biggest coup for the Saudi Pro League since Ronaldo’s arrival.
Cristiano Ronaldo believes his move to Al-Nassr in 2023 has opened a new perspective for others
Busquets is leaving Barcelona but determined to continue his professional career at the age of 34
“I knew my trip to Saudi Arabia was going to be a big problem and I wasn’t wrong,” Ronaldo admitted.
“I’m sure that in a couple of years or three years this league will be one of the most important leagues in the world.”
“Karim has already left and I’m 1,000 percent sure many more players will.”
Ronaldo’s move to Saudi Arabia appeared to be the turning point in the league’s recruitment drive. Few elite players have made the move, Busquets could be next.