A firewalking lesson in which Norwegian teachers encouraged their students to walk barefoot over hot coals sends seven of them to hospital
- Some of the injured students – all boys – had to take morphine for the pain
- The parents were never asked about the “firewalking experiment”.
A physics class in Norway where teachers encouraged teenage students to walk barefoot over hot coals went disastrously wrong when seven children ended up in hospital with burns.
An investigation was launched after the “firewalking experiment” during a physics class, about which the parents said they were never asked.
Some of the injured students – all boys – had to be given morphine because of the pain after the stunt, which also involved their physics teacher and principal.
A parent of a 17-year-old schoolboy told MailOnline they first learned about the firewalk when their son called from school and had to be hospitalized with second-degree burns and severe blistering on the soles of his feet from the 1,000-degree embers run.
“We were never asked about this,” said the parent, who declined to be named, “and the school seemed to dismiss our objections by saying ‘The students all agreed,’ which isn’t good enough.”
An investigation was launched after the “firewalking experiment” during a physics class, about which the parents said they were never asked
Some of the injured students – all boys – had to be given morphine because of the pain after the stunt, which also involved their physics teacher and principal
Physics teacher Vidar Furholt (pictured) also took part in the “firewalking experiment”.
Principal Karl Roar Vigmostad (pictured) has announced an investigation – into the firewalk, which he personally attended
Now the headmaster of St. Olav School in Stavanger, Norway, Karl Roar Vigmostad, has announced an investigation into the firewalk, which he personally attended.
A group of boys in the co-ed physics class proposed the experiment to test a scientific phenomenon called the Leidenfrost effect, which some scientists believe occurs in firewalking.
At high temperatures, water vapor should form a protective layer that reduces the risk of injury. However, other experts believe that water can cause bits of burning embers to stick to the soles of the feet.
In any case, according to one parent, the boys’ suggestion that they dip their feet in cold water before stepping onto the coals was rebuffed at the last minute by physics teacher Vidar Furholt.
According to the parents, Mr Furholt, who last performed the fire walk with Mr Vigmostad, suffered blisters himself as a result, but made fun of it the next day.
“They also suggested in their proposal that a first aid kit should be on hand, but that wasn’t the case,” the parent said. “The next was in the Headmaster’s office.” We had to see a doctor to get permission to take our son to the hospital’s burns unit, where he was given a double dose of morphine.
“The doctors said the blisters should heal, but the biggest fear is that they could become infected.” In my opinion, the school behaved very irresponsibly. It was all very disturbing.’
Principal Mr Vigmostad told local Stavanger Aftenblad newspaper after the incident on Thursday: “It went wrong – it’s not good.” “We take this episode seriously.”
He added, “It’s too early to tell what happened.” Our first priority was the mentoring and mentoring of the students.
“We will investigate further and find out why it ended the way it did.” Much can be learned from such an incident. ‘
He told the newspaper that no ambulance was called to the school and students were encouraged to see a doctor themselves and the school helped make this possible by contacting the local hospital.”
MailOnline contacted Mr Vigmostad for comment.