A convicted sex offender accused of brutally beating a man in an unprovoked assault has whined that he shouldn’t be behind bars – because his victim is still alive.
Jesus Cortes, 52, was left with a fractured skull and a brain hemorrhage after the August 12 attack by Bui Van Phu, 55, in the Bronx.
Phu was initially released without bail after the horrific attack was caught on video, but was then jailed after New York Gov. Kathy Hochul urged prosecutors to step up the charges against him.
Horrifying surveillance video shows the moment Phu put on a pair of gloves and struck with great force, hitting the victim in the back of the head.
He then immediately falls to the ground, appearing to be unconscious and banging his head on the concrete after the sudden attack.
The NYPD claims he slapped the victim in the face “without prior conversation or altercation” before “returning to the restaurant and later to parts unknown.”
Phu whined to the New York Post that he couldn’t remember anything about the attack and said he “passed out.”
He said, “He’s alive. He’s not dead. I thank God he survived. I didn’t want to hurt him that much. I only hit him once.
Bui Van Phu, 55, was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, but prosecutors later returned charges of misdemeanor. He’s now whining that he doesn’t have to go to jail because Jesus Cortes survived the attack
Jesus Cortes, 52, (left) suffered a fractured skull and a brain hemorrhage following the attack by Bui Van Phu, 55, (right) earlier this year
“I really don’t remember anything. I was so angry, I’ve never done anything like this. That was my first time.
“I’m not a violent person. I’m not like that. I wouldn’t do it again. I am sorry. I know I did something wrong. That’s why I turned myself in.
“The judge told me not to speak to him and to stay away from him, but if I could see him I would apologize and tell him I’m sorry. If he wants me to pay his medical bills, I don’t mind paying his medical bills.’
Bui was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, but prosecutors later caused outrage when they only brought charges of misdemeanor.
The prosecutor’s office defended itself, claiming it was still investigating the shocking attack.
Bui was described as an “imminent threat to the community” at a parole hearing on Saturday after New York Gov. Kathy Hochul ordered him back to prison.
Speaking at his hearing, parole officer Nixa Rivera said, “Mr. Bui is a 55-year-old man with a persistent history of violent crime.
Phu was convicted of attempted robbery in 1991 and is a registered sex offender – who was paroled after being convicted of raping a 17-year-old girl at gunpoint on December 24, 1994. He was released from prison in March 2019
He was allowed straight out of Bronx Criminal Court on supervised release without bail after appearing before a judge where he was charged with third-degree assault and second-degree molestation
‘Mister. Bui is a registered level three sex offender, the highest level on the sex offender registry. Mr. Bui continues to pose an imminent threat to the community.’
Rivera added that Bui has lived in a shelter for six years and has no apparent family or community connections.
For two years he has been working exclusively at the cash register of a nail salon.
Alison Lowy, the Legal Aid Society’s attorney assigned to Bui, said public pressure should not have made his charges more serious.
She added, “When this incident happened, the defendant called his parole officer and she told him to turn himself in and he did.”
However, Rivera said his criminal charges are likely to become felonies anyway.
Judge Lumarie Maldonado Cruz has ordered Bui to remain behind bars without bail before a hearing scheduled for Tuesday.
Just before the attack, Phu stands behind his victim before raining down a violent punch in front of a group of other people outside the restaurant
Phu was described as an “imminent threat to the community” at a parole hearing on Saturday after New York Gov. Kathy Hochul ordered him back to prison
Cortes’ brother Juan Cortes told DailyMail.com that his brother is recovering and has been taken off a ventilator
Juan Cortes called Bui a “bad person” and said the felony charge should have been there from the start.
Court documents obtained by DailyMail.com show the lesser charges were because Bui “willfully (causes) bodily harm and with intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person”.
Bui was convicted of attempted robbery in 1991 and is a registered sex offender – who was paroled after being convicted of raping a 17-year-old girl at gunpoint on Christmas Eve 1994. He was released from prison in March 2019
In chilling footage released by the NYPD, Bui is seen walking out of the Bronx’s Fuego Tipico restaurant and putting on a pair of gloves.
Then you see how he hits the victim with great force on the back of the head. The victim was found unconscious and unresponsive on the ground after the unprovoked attack and was taken to the hospital.
In a conversation with Bui’s probation officer, documented by the court, he describes the incident: “I’m in trouble. I hit someone and he’s in the hospital.
“I don’t know if he’s dead. The police are looking for me. I was at the restaurant and I know the police are looking for me.”
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11176929/Gloved-beast-sucker-punched-victim-whined-blacked-unprovoked-attack.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&ito=1490 The gloved beast who thrashed his victim lamented that he had “blacked out” during the unprovoked attack