Hospital bosses wanted to “protect Lucy Letby from allegations” that she was murdering babies, while a nurse accused consultants of conducting a “witch hunt” against the serial killer.
Letby, 33, was then to be offered the chance of an observation post at Liverpool’s world-famous Alder Hey hospital after NHS managers ignored doctors’ warnings about her activities.
The convicted child killer also received support for a master’s degree or further training to become a nurse after convincing the Countess of Chester Hospital NHS Foundation Trust that she was being victimized by doctors, the Sunday Times reported.
After a ten-month marathon trial, Letby, of Hereford, was convicted on 14 counts – seven of murder and seven of attempted murder – of 13 babies.
Ian Harvey, the trust’s medical director, reportedly said the trust “wants to protect Lucy Letby from these allegations”, while senior emergency room nurse Karen Rees Letby reportedly said that “the intention was to get her back into the neonatal unit “.
A nurse reportedly said the counselors were conducting a “witch hunt” against Letby.
Hospital bosses wanted to “protect Lucy Letby from allegations” that she was murdering babies, while a nurse accused consultants of conducting a “witch hunt” against the serial killer
After a ten-month marathon trial, Letby, of Hereford, was convicted on 14 counts – seven of murder and seven of attempted murder – of 13 babies
Letby, 33, was about to be offered the chance of an observation post at the world-famous Alder Hey Hospital (pictured) in Liverpool
The Manchester Crown Court jury acquitted Letby on two counts of attempted murder and failed to reach a verdict on six other counts of attempted murder.
For legal reasons, neither the babies nor their parents may be named.
The ‘evil’ killer nurse is due to be sentenced on Monday but has already indicated through her lawyers that she will not be attending the hearing at Manchester Crown Court.
The Sunday Times claims to have obtained a number of internal documents, including a report detailing the outcome of a formal complaint made by Letby against the Trust, showing how concerns about her were raised by the Trust and doctors had expressed, an apology was offered.
Managers also suggested that she be offered the position at the top hospital, which treats more than a quarter of a million patients a year.
Letby filed a formal victimization and discrimination complaint against the Trust in September 2016, complaining that she had been unfairly targeted and forced out of the job she loved.
The complaints document reportedly shows how advisers first voiced concerns about baby collapses and deaths to board directors in 2015, and how doctors were heard alluding to “murderers” on the ward.
Some doctors have been told they face investigations into misconduct, and have met strong opposition to their attempts to escalate their concerns.
Counselors who have raised concerns have since shared how babies could have been saved if hospital leaders had listened to them and acted sooner.
The senior consultant at the neonatal unit, Dr. Stephen Brearey, first suggested in June 2015 that Letby was associated with an increase in infant collapse.
He told the Guardian that deaths could have been avoided as early as February 2016 if management had “appropriately responded” to an urgent meeting request from concerned doctors. The police were alerted in 2017.
Another consultant, Dr. Ravi Jayaram, has repeatedly expressed his concern to hospital officials at the increasing number of sudden and unexpected collapses.
Speaking to the Sunday Times, Susan Gilby, the trust’s former chief executive, called for a full public inquiry, adding that she realized the police had to start investigating just a week after the trust began in 2018.
Medical director Ian Harvey was warned in May 2016 that the situation could be “very serious”.
Lucy Letby, pictured, has been found to have killed seven children and attempted to kill a further six
Lucy Letby led a double life: dating friends while killing innocent babies
The ‘evil’ killer nurse is due to be sentenced on Monday but has already indicated through her lawyers that she will not be attending the hearing at Manchester Crown Court
On Friday, ministers announced an independent, non-statutory inquiry into Letby’s crimes.
Karen Rees – as she was known at the hospital before remarrying and becoming Mrs Moore – has denied Dr. Brearey denied during Letby’s trial, saying she could not comment further after legal advice.
Mr Harvey is now enjoying his retirement in France with his second wife and did not comment when the Mail contacted him at his home.
He later told the BBC in a statement: “As medical director, I was committed to ensuring the safety of the baby center and supporting our staff.” I wanted the checks and investigations to be done so we can tell the parents what happened to their children. I believe there should be an inquiry into all the events leading up to this process and I will help in any way I can.”