The Saudi Pro League confirm their transfer window is open until September 7, with Al-Ittihad struggling to secure the £200m transfer of Liverpool striker Mohamed Salah
- The Saudi Arabian top flight has an extended transfer window until September 7th
- There was confusion over the date, with FIFA claiming it runs until June 20.
- This buys Al-Ittihad extra time in his ambitious bid to land Mohamed Salah
The Saudi Pro League have confirmed their transfer window will remain open until September 7 as Al-Ittihad look to secure an ambitious win for Mohamed Salah.
Top players from around the world flocked to the Middle East this summer, with the country’s top flight paying out the likes of Neymar, Karim Benzema, N’Golo Kante and Sadio Mane.
Liverpool striker Salah could be next, while Al-Ittihad are hoping to lure the Reds with a £200m offer and they have until Thursday to get that move across the finish line, although manager Jurgen Klopp has reiterated, that Salah will not leave Anfield as he was unable to replace him.
Initially, there was confusion over when the Saudi top flight window would slam shut, after FIFA initially claimed it would run until September 20.
But in a statement, the Saudi Pro League said: “As notified to clubs on Friday 30 June, summer registration for player transfers for the Saudi Pro League will end on Thursday 7 September.”
The Premier League window closed on September 1, completing Liverpool’s summer business after signing Alexis Mac Allister, Dominik Szoboszlai, Ryan Gravenberch and Wataru Endo – but no forward signings to fill in for Salah.
The Saudi Pro League have confirmed their transfer window until September 7 – with Al-Ittihad looking to complete an ambitious win for Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah
Al-Ittihad has already struck a number of big deals this summer, including for Karim Benzema (left) and N’Golo Kante (right).
Liverpool turned down an offer of £150m but that hasn’t deterred the Saudi pro-league club – who have already signed Benzema, Kante and Liverpool’s Fabinho.
Salah started Liverpool’s 3-0 win over Aston Villa on Sunday and scored the third goal of the afternoon.
Just before the game, manager Klopp said he had no qualms about his concentration despite ongoing speculation about a possible exit.
After catching a confused look before laughing at the question, he said: “It wasn’t necessary, it was a media story and it never got through.”
“I have a big desk in my office, lots of papers on it, a laptop, an iPad, everything you need.” Neither of them are bothered by any kind of this news. I have many other things to do and we haven’t thought about it yet.
Liverpool have rejected a £150m bid from Al-Ittihad and Jurgen Klopp insisted his star is not for sale
“Mo was completely normal, a good week of training and nothing to worry about from my point of view.”
Mail Sport revealed Liverpool have been examining contingency plans in the unlikely event Salah leaves before the transfer window closes.
Led by Nuno Espirito Santo, Al-Ittihad currently sits at the top of the Saudi Pro League, having won four out of four games so far this season.
But a move from Liverpool’s No11 would be one of the biggest deals in an incredible league window of opportunity.
Salah’s status as the world’s tallest Arab athlete is fueling the pursuit and Al-Ittihad is poised to press until the final hour on Thursday to take her man.
Liverpool are in no rush with the sale as the player has two years left on his £350,000-a-week contract.